Due to the Sprinter van’s unibody construction, the design of the mounting system is especially critical. If a thick steel bumper is poorly mounted to the vehicle unibody, no matter how strong the bumper is, it will simply punch through the unibody mounting points should an impact occur. Our mounting system spreads forces evenly through the Sprinter’s thin unibody frame structure, which substantially stiffens the bumper and protects the mounting interfaces. This makes for an extremely durable bumper that will easily shrug off trail impacts and scrapes as well as provide a stiff and secure structure to mount our optional swing out carrier arms to.
After many design iterations, we settled on a bumper that sticks out from the van a few inches in the rear for protection but has very close-fitting corners. This maintains the full range of the Sprinter’s double hinged doors as well as reducing weight and keeping the bumper as slim as possible. By doing this, we feel that we have achieved a very tidy bumper profile that will complement the lines of your Sprinter. The low profile design has also resulted in very reasonable weights of 74lbs for the steel bumper and 37lbs for the aluminum version.
The swing out carriers come in either a single or dual sided configuration and are built to accept a tire up to 37″ in diameter. Both carriers include mounting brackets for a hilift jack and other recovery items. The dual swing out includes the hilift mount as well as a lockable jerry can holder designed to fit two 20L NATO style jerry cans. These carriers feature heavy duty chromoly heim joint hinges, locking 2000lb toggle latches, T-handle spring pins, and a replaceable UHMW catch pad that provides secure, rattle free operation. The heim joints in conjunction with the toggle latch provide tons of adjustability, allowing for easy assembly and guaranteed alignment of the carrier latch. The single swing out add-on weighs 34lbs and the dual swing out add-on with gas can holder weighs 77lbs.
•DIY Weld-together kit – This bumper arrives as precision CNC-laser cut pieces that you then weld together (detailed assembly instructions included)
•Maintains full usage of the factory spare tire mount underneath the vehicle
• All kits ship as clean, bare metal that is ready to weld out of the box – the Nitrogen laser cutting technology means no cutting edge oxidation or slag and thus easier and stronger welds
• Heavy duty 3/16″ plate steel construction for maximum offroad strength and durability
• Optional 1/4″ 5052 aluminum construction for a lightweight yet very durable overlanding setup (37lb weight savings)
• Slim bumper profile is engineered to provide maximum ground clearance and complement the factory body lines
• Mounts using 16 factory mounting points – this distributes forces evenly into the Sprinter’s relatively thin unibody structure
•Optional LED lights include adjustable mounting tabs to mount the lights either on the swing outs or on top of the bumper
• Recessed 2″ hitch receiver for a clean look and further clearance gains (While the hitch is very well reinforced, we cannot rate it for on-road towing due to the DIY welding nature of this kit)
• Reinforced 9/16″ thick clevis mounts allow the use of 3/4″ D-Rings and pull directly off of the frame for confident recoveries of heavily loaded vehicles
•Optional Single and Dual Swing out carriers with spare tire mount, hilift jack mount and locking dual NATO can holder (dual swing out only)